Monday 28 March 2011

little sunday eats

when? sunday
where? my brother's
why? to EAT! (glass of wine optional)


Boy I love to eat. Anyone who knows me, knows that I talk about food a lot. A LOT! I like to think about it. Talk about it. Describe it. Plan it. Look at it. Smell it. Cook it. Eat it and nothing excites me more than the talk of 'eats.'


I've always been a fan of little eats. Ten years in a row, my mother put on an amazing Christmas Eve drinks party full of fresh new concoctions. Planning would start in September and everything was prepared, slaved and made by herself. Vodka marinated cherry tomatoes. Thai dumplings. Salmon gravlax. Home-made chutneys ooozing and sticking. The list is endless and an early childhood in Italy makes me no stranger to the bruschetta and tapenade.

But, for a good old sunday luncheon, a reoccuring favourite is the mackerel pate, enjoyed with some toasted WHOLEMEAL pitta bread. My mother can wip it up in no time, and so can (apparently) my brother.  Rather strangely, I've also enjoyed this for breakfast! It's got gumption and guts. It's chunky, creamy, and has a tangy tingle.

  • Smoked mackerel (those vacuum packed fillets)
  • Full fat cream cheese (the half fat one never tastes as good and usually has other s*** ingredients added)
  • Lemon juice to taste (I always like more)
  • Fresh black pepper
  • FORK TO MASH! (small teaspoon or less of horseradish if you're feeling adventurous)




Seriously it's that easy, as are the blinis and dry fried sliced halloumi. Don't ever fry halloumi in oil. NO OIL REQUIRED. Just dry fry. We had them today with fresh lemon juice, but they are amazingly special with loads and loads and loads of lime juice and some fresh chopped red chilli.

No comments: