Tuesday 7 June 2011

the rain did poureth

I woke up feeling fed up, groggy and tired. Summer (for now) appears to be over. The rain was pelting it down all morning. I walked inappropriately dressed in the rain to my car. I got soaked. I stood outside in the rain the day before. I got soaked. The heel of my shoe is a muddy brown. I've been drinking too many glasses of bubbly and I've had too many slices of pizza. 

I need to feel summer again...

I want to feel fresh, clean and pure...

I want something to tickle my tastebuds...

...I don't want too much hassle

There is someone who wraps all these qualities into a colourful box of sunshine, tied up in ribbon....BILL GRANGER, albeit with a few too many of the same ingredients. However, he does it so so well!

Caramel Salmon (serves 4)
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil (sesame oil)
  • 800 g salmon, with skin, cut into large cubes
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
  • 115 g brown sugar (few teaspoons of honey)
  • 3 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
     
First sear the skin side of the salmon on a very high heat. Just do a few at a time.

Then flip over and cook for just a minute and remove from the pan...


After you have put the salmon aside, turn the heat down to medium. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes, then add the soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar (or honey).

Add the salmon back into the pan and stir/heat until it has that sticky, toffee like consistency. This gives it a naughty treat like feel to it. Add lime juice and cracked black pepper and serve with steamed rice and lime wedges.

Hungry?
...I think so
Tasty?
...I know so

Peace and harmony restored!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments: