Tuesday 27 September 2011

take a 'leek'...

Firstly, apologies for the delay.

I'm gearing back up with my studies, so my mind is a whirl with PCOS, metabolism, and other such food/body related topics. I will have more health things to come in the future...

But back to the title...

I don't mean this literally of course, although with the amount of water I down in a day, perhaps I should change the spelling to the more appropriate meaning!

Sauteed leeks, mushrooms with parsley

I mean, take one leek.

The vegetable from the Allium family. His brothers are onion and garlic. Know them?

Leek isn't a vegetable I have often, but I really rather fancied it. I think that there is only one way to eat them, sauteed in butter!

Sizzling in butter and white wine

I also adore sauteed mushrooms with butter, white wine and parsley. So lets throw them all together!

Delicious with fresh sourdough bread...

For 2:
  • 1 leek washed and sliced
  • 8 chestnut mushrooms, quartered
  • knob of butter to sizzle in the pan
  • glug of white wine
  • chopped parsley
  • salt and pepper
Let the butter sizzle in the pan over a medium heat, then add the sliced leeks and mushrooms. Allow them to cook right down (that is where all the flavour is), but be careful not to have on a high heat otherwise they will brown/burn. Before you are ready to serve, add a generous glug of white wine and a handful of chopped parsley. Let the white wine reduce away and SERVE!

Some fillet steak

With all my extra efforts in the gym lately, my body was needing definite repairing. Enter fillet beef. Hello amino acids...build me!

It is ESSENTIAL you cook a steak properly. Prepare/season your beef first with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put into a searing hot pan. Hot hot, and generally leave for about 3 minutes on one side before turning over. Another couple of minutes on the other side, and perhaps with tongs move your steak around to sear the sides and ends for the nice colour, then take OFF the heat. Your meat will continue cooking a little so take off before you like it done. Then LEAVE it. The longer you leave it the better. If you cut now, it will be dry as a bone. Leave for at least 10 minutes, so that your steak can recover from intense heat shock. He has rather tensed up from all that action, so he needs a few moments to relax, calm down, gather himself and more importantly re-absorb his juices. Then Mr Steak will be carving/eating ready and just melt in the mouth.

Serve both with new potatoes, anything you like or nothing. I also used a little of the crab apple jelly I'm obsessed and some mustard.

Delightful